Of the four cities that make up “fashion month,” Paris undoubtedly my favorite. There are lots of reasons for this (the Chanel show is one), the least of which isn’t the street style. Paris is special and the show-goers dress accordingly. Weather can be tricky in Paris (rainy one morning, warm and sunny by afternoon), and I think that forces people to get creative. I also want to think that editors save some of their best looks for Paris (or maybe it’s just what happens to be left in their suitcase after three weeks of traveling). Whatever it is, it brings out the best in street style. In fact, I had so many favorite looks that I’m creating not one, but two “get the look” posts for Paris. Check back for the part two next week!
Is there anything more classic than a pair of jeans? I’m certain that if you asked anyone which item of clothing gets the most wear , the answer would almost always be denim. There’s a reason that Yves Saint Laurent said, “I wish I had invented blue jeans.” Good denim is a closet staple. I practically live in this pair – not to mention, my new boyfriend-style. Denim is versatile and works with anything – anytime. It’s the workhouse of the wardrobe.
There are so many different options to choose from – and the denim selection at Nordstrom has them all. Thankfully, they’ve made it easy to shop by dividing the various styles into neat and tidy categories for us – which includes a section of “under $100″ denim. Let’s make it even easier. Here, the five denim trends I’m focusing on for a fall refresh.
1. The Classic Skinny - You own a pair. You probably own seven pairs. And with good reason. They’re truly a classic. The very best skinny jean, in my opinion, is the Le Skinny de Jeanne from Frame Denim. That’s why I own them in four different washes (this one and this one are my favorites).
2. The Denim Skirt – This one is going to be a tough one for some to get behind. I really never thought I’d see this happen but the denim skirt seems to be making a serious comeback. It was spotted on the likes of Olivia Palermo (but she doesn’t count because she looks good in everything) and more than a few editors at fashion week – including Lauren Santo Domingo. If it’s LSD-approved then I can probably get on board.
3. The High-Waisted – This is the pair I’m most excited to start wearing more. I love the look of a high-waisted pair of pants. Not only does it make you look two inches taller (it really does!), but there’s something about a high-waist that adds a certain polish and put together-ness to a look. The best advice: opt for a fitted pair like these. Boyfriend, slouchy styles just don’t work with the high-waisted style. However, a flare-style like this one definitely does.
4. Novelty – We can’t rely on our dark blue skinnies alone. It’s a good idea to round out your denim collection with a few novelty pairs. I’m talking a colored pair (oxblood is a fall favorite for me), a print, and a coated pair for those times when you need something a little dressier.
5. The Denim Shirt – Like your humble white tee, a denim shirt (I can vouch for this one. It just gets better and better with every wash.) works as a neutral for any look. Pair it with anything you want – a pencil skirt, leather pants – and you’re good to go. And yes. Go ahead and wear it with your favorite jeans. Denim-on-denim has never looked better.
Images via Tommy Ton, Stockholm Streetstyle, and Vogue
This post was sponsored by Nordstrom. All opinions are my own.
If there’s one pair of footwear you need for fall, it’s a good pair of boots. While I love my ankle booties and my black suede over-the-knee’s are perfect for nights on the town, the one I’ll turn to the most this season is this pair from Loeffler Randall. Why? Because they’re pretty much the perfect boot. Not only are they incredibly comfortable (a must when you’re wearing them as much as I do), but the equestrian style look is classic and the buttery, brown leather is one that only gets better with time. In other words, I don’t have to worry about scuffs and scrapes on these. The everyday wear-and-tear only makes them look better. (How many pairs of shoes do you have that you can say that about?) They get this great patina to them that only looks good on boots with leather this beautiful. As someone that has been a proud owner of their brown and black Matilde style boots for over 5 years (after putting new rubber soles on them for the third time, my cobbler finally told me it was time for a new pair), I can vouch for the lasting quality of their boots. When looking online for a new pair of Matilde’s, I was excited to see this updated style called the Milou. It’s got the same round toe from the Matilde that I love, but instead of hitting a little below my knees, this pair zips right on over them. I love the brown pair so much, I’m thinking a black pair may be in order.
Now, for the really, really good news… Loeffler Randall is offering a special discount to Luella & June readers. From now through October 8th, you can get 15% off any your own pair of Milou boots. (I can promise you that these are boots are timeless. You’re going to love for many, many fall seasons.) Just enter the code JUNE at checkout. Quite a nice way to kick off October, don’t you think?
Photos by Molly Miller
With all of the great sales (here and here, to name just two) happening right now, it’s been quite an easy task finding some sweet style steals. No matter what it is you’ve got your heart set on for fall – a cozy sweater, a new pair of boots, a fur vest – you can definitely score a good deal right now. As you all know, attending weddings has been my life for the last year – and that shows no sign of stopping any time soon. With that said, I’ve been on the lookout for things I can wear to those. This pair of strappy heels, a cocktail dress, and some pretty new jewels (I’m also obsessed with these) to top it all off. Here you’ll find some of my current favorites (plus more below!) that all ring in at under $150. Happy shopping!
Better get yourself to J.Crew! Just for today, they’re offering an extra 40% off their final sale styles. That means you can score things like my favorite surf skirt and sparkly little gems like this for $30. Just enter the code SHOPASAP and you’re all set. There’s lots and lots of good things in this sale. Don’t miss it!
Perusing the sale…
- I almost bought this coat last week. I’m glad I held off because now I can get it for a whole lot less.
- You know how much I love their long-sleeve cashmere tees. Guess what? With today’s code, they’re under $100.
- Speaking of cashmere, I adore this tunic style. It’s the best length to wear with leather leggings.
- Everybody needs a good puffer vest this time of year.
- Now would be a perfect time to grab a couple pairs of your favorite ballet flats.
- Summer may be over but it can’t hurt to check out the swimsuits. You can always be prepared for next year (or a beach vacation coming up!).
- I can’t wait to wear this brocade top with leather pants. It’ll be perfect for the holidays, too.
- These sparkly gems are now $20. Yes, please.
- This simple sweater tee got a chic update with leather pockets.
- I’ll be stocking up on sweaters. This one and this one, thank you.
- They’ve marked down the navy blue boyfriend-style coat. Grab it while you can!
The streets in Milan are usually the ones you can count on for lots (and lots) of color. But not this year. While show-goers certainly still incorporated playful touches (polka dots, bright accessories), the looks were a little more pared down, more serious. It seems to be something I’m noticing across all fashion weeks so far. I’m excited to see what Paris will bring us. Check back next week for the #PFW street style looks!
No matter how organized I think I am the night before, my mornings are almost always hectic. It doesn’t matter how early I get up (and believe me, it’s early), I always seem to find myself in a rush. Since I’ve never been somebody who plans out what I’m going to wear in advance (I like to think I work better under pressure?), it means that I have to rely on basics to get me dressed and out the door quickly. I’m talking about those go-to pieces that that I consider the “building blocks” of a good closet. For fall, some of those things include several really great t-shirts (white, black, grey),a cozy sweater that makes for easy layering, skinny jeans, a camel coat, and leather pants, among others. And when it comes to shopping for those pieces, The Dreslyn is one of my go-to spots. They’ve really got my bases covered there. And guess what? Starting today, they’re offering a special 20% discount on any purchase. All you have to do is enter the code WITHBENEFITS at checkout. Sounds like a good time to stock up to me. Those are the key pieces I turn to on a daily basis and then I’ll add in color and pattern with my accessories. There are, of course, still those mornings where my clothes are flying around the closet, but having those key pieces makes them few and far between.
Photos by Molly Miller
This post was sponsored by The Dreslyn
I’ve had these images saved on my desktop for awhile now and when I couldn’t remember who the designer of the bags was, I actually typed into google ” chip bag clutch.” Poof. There it was. That’s because that’s exactly what these bags looks like: semi-crumpled potato chip bags. And that’s exactly what London-based designer Anya Hindmarch intended when she created the “Crisp Packet Clutch” (that’s how they say potato chips across the pond). Hindmarch has said that the bag was actually inspired by a bag of salt and vinegar chips. Yum.
I’ve always known Anya Hindmarch for her classic leather handbags – bags like this one and this one are what usually come to mind. (Although, she does have a way with glitter. Check out this sparkly little clutch I’ve been eyeing.) But the Crisp Packets are different. They’re more like wearable art. (Each metal clutch takes over seven hours to make!) I love the way Hindmarch took something as simple as a potato chip bag, something you see everyday, and transformed it into something really special.
While the metallic versions of the bag were all the rage this year, it’s the neon iterations from her S/S 15 collection that are sure to be the next favorite. Think day-glo colors like electric yellow, bright orange (my favorite) and lipstick-pink. These new styles are sure to produce a waiting-list frenzy. Good thing M’oda ‘Operandi is taking orders now. The early bird gets the worm – or, in this case, the crisps.