On my list of least favorite colors, maroon (burgundy, oxblood, whatever you want to call it) is most certainly on there. Who know why our eyes gravitate towards certain colors and retreat from others, but, for me, maroon has always been in the latter category. However, this Olivia Palermo look has me re-thinking the whole thing for fall. (Leave to her to change my entire stance on a single color.) What I always love about Olivia’s looks is the way she totally commits to whatever she’s wearing. She didn’t just tip-toe around maroon, she decided to really go for it with a tonal look – and then added a statement necklace to boot. Not only do I really like the head-to-toe color, but I love the way she lessened the formality of a pencil skirt with a cozy, half-tucked turtleneck. I can’t imagine OP looking bad in anything but this color, in particular, really stands out on her. It’s such a rich color and feels so right for fall. Something like this skirt would look really cute paired with black opaque tights and a pair of boots. I also love the idea of taking a break from my usual black leather pants and opting for this color instead. It might not be a color I incorporate into everything in my life, but I’ll most certainly be adding at least a few maroon pieces (this and these are no-brainers) to my closet.
Just when we thought all the sales were over, The Dreslyn gives us one more to peruse. From now until Friday night, the site is offering 20% off any purchase. Just enter the code WHYNOT at checkout. I’ve said it before but The Dreslyn is one of my favorite spots for chic basics (things like this and these) and with this promo going on, now would be a perfect time to scoop up some of those. Don’t forget to check out their home goods section. The selection is equally as chic there.
Here’s what you can’t miss:
- I love the Play by Comme Des Garçons line. Their new t-shirt feature a teeny-tiny heart. How cute.
- This is the kind of jacket that would some serious wear with everything from jeans to skirts to leather pants.
- You’ll walk miles in these black leather ankle boots.
- I love the asymmetrical draping of this classic black top. I will be pairing it with leather pants and a great necklace come holiday party season.
- With the holidays coming up, I’ve got my eye out for pretty things for my tablescapes. These brass Tom Dixon napkin rings are too cool.
- This chunky turtleneck would keep you warm all winter long.
- I might not be wearing them anytime soon but now is as good a time as ever to score 20% off my favorite sandal line.
- No matter what the cake tastes like, you know it will look pretty sitting atop this gold and marble stand.
- Olive green is one of my favorite colors this season. This long coat looks extra chic in the army-inspired hue.
It’s pumpkin time! Everywhere I look: pumpkin this, pumpkin that. The spice synonymous with fall has officially taken over. And there’s a reason for that: it’s delicious. Here’s a fun fact: I only started liking pumpkin a couple of years ago. I used to strongly dislike the flavor and would do everything I could to stay away from it (i.e. no pumpkin bread or pumpkin-spice lattes for me). I’m not even sure when that changed (probably around the same time I all of the sudden started loving beets) but I’m so glad it did because I feel like I was really missing out on one of fall’s greatest pleasures.
This past weekend, my husband went out of town and I decided to spend part of my Sunday baking. (Perhaps baking is my new SSB?) With so many pumpkin recipes flooding my Pinterest (I’m tempted to dedicate an entire board to it), it wasn’t difficult to find some good pumpkin inspiration. The only hard part was deciding which one to make first. Since Sundays are my usual cookie-baking day, I used this recipe to make pumpkin snickerdoodles. Yes. They tasted just as good as they sound. The mix of cinnamon + sugar + pumpkin-y goodness made for a perfect cookie. Of course, I had so much leftover pumpkin puree that I simply couldn’t stop there. So I made something else: pumpkin-banana bread. As someone who loves banana bread, I wasn’t sure about mixing up the classic flavor I’ve come to love – but it totally worked. The pumpkin isn’t overwhelming and only complements the banana flavor. It’s a new fall favorite and one I’ll certainly be making again.
My list of to-make pumpkin recipes this season is getting longer and longer (one quick trip to Pinterest just adds five more). Here, the top 10 on my list. From breakfast treats to Mexican fare, there’s so many ways to use pumpkin – and I plan to try them all. If you have some great pumpkin recipes of your own, please share in the comment section!
Lately my mornings have been even more rushed than usual. I make a solid effort to get things organized the night before but it rarely ends up happening. My evenings are usually spent chatting with my husband, cooking dinner (or doing take-out), and catching up on an episode on my DVR. And then I go to bed really early. I am not a night owl. I’m an early-to-bed, (very) early-to-rise kind of person. I relish my early, early mornings. I’m much more productive in the a.m. hours and therefore I guess I just procrastinate on everything – blog work, answering e-mails, writing thank-you notes, wrapping a birthday gift, whatever it may be! – until then. Needless to say, figuring out what to wear takes last priority.
That’s where the head-to-toe black comes in. It’s the easiest way to look put-together when you haven’t a clue what to wear or you’re crunched for time. If you have some key black pieces in your closet, it’s pretty much effortless, too. In my opinion, those “key pieces” include: a perfect-fitting t-shirt (this one from Vince is my absolute favorite right now), a blazer, a pair of tailored pants (in leather and denim, too), a cashmere sweater, and of course, one or two little black dresses (try this one or this one). Since these are things that get worn all the time, I think it’s important to buy things that will last (classic over trendy) but that doesn’t mean they have to be super expensive. This LBD, for example, rings in at under $100. The same goes for this pair of (faux) leather pants from Michael Kors. I’m always scouring The Outnet for good deals, too.
One of the best things about black is that any color and/or print you add in really stands out. My Candy Land-pink ballet flats from Loeffler Randall look even brighter, and the polka-dots are even more playful. A touch of color and a whimsical print always lighten (and brighten) things up.
Photos by Molly Miller
Doing a little Sunday shopping? Be sure not to miss the Tibi Friends & Fam sale that’s going on. You can score 25% off with the code FF2014TIBI.
Here’s what you can’t miss…
- If you like the feather dress I posted then you’re going to love the feather jacket. I’m going to pair mine with a pair of leather pants and heels for cocktail parties.
- Now is the perfect time to scoop up one of Tibi’s famous party skirts. Which color to choose?
- Since I rarely wear red, I rely on plenty of sparkly things and the color green to get me through the holidays. Good thing Tibi has some of the best when it comes to emerald green. Check out this dress, this little leather top, and a party skirt, too.
- Stripes. You know I love ‘em. This cozy dress is another one to add to my closet.
- The most classic of coats in your choice of gray or blue.
- Something shiny and new.
Here’s one more sale you might want to add to your radar: Kate Spade New York is offering 30% off any purchase. Just enter the code F14FFUS at checkout. This came at a perfect time for me. I’ve been wanting to purchase some of their adorable tabletop things (a set of these in black and a pair of polka-dot tumblers, mainly) I’m also pretty much in love with this chartreuse coat. Have you seen a more perfect color? Keep in mind this promo is only for one more day! It ends Sunday night. So you better start your lookin’ now.
Here’s what you can’t miss:
- First things first: this bejeweled coat. I’m obsessed. It’s certainly pricey and even with the 30% off promo, it’s still a stretch but it’s oh-so-lovely.
- Under $100: these adorable turquoise studs. It might be worth it to get them in a couple of colors.
- This clutch is so un-Kate Spade to me. Is it the neon? The python? Whatever it is, it’s a nice surprise and I love it.
- I love a good sweater dress. I love it even more when it’s in navy blue and there’s a little leather involved.
- If you’re thinking holiday gifts, now would be a good time to scoop up a few. I love this jewelry box. It’s perfect for traveling – and it’s under $100.
- Maybe you want something to put in that jewelry box? These earrings will work.
- On the hunt for a classic but cozy coat? This coat is the ticket.
- A sparkly pair of sunnies? Don’t mind if I do.
- Kate Spade has got all the jewels in all the right places this season. This light pink turtleneck just got a major upgrade thanks to some sparkle.
- I’ve been wanting one of these turquoise rose bowls forever. I’m finally adding one to my cart.
- Who doesn’t love a little leopard dress?
Here come the brides! My wedding day might be behind me but that hasn’t stopped me from perusing the Fall 2015 bridal collections. The gowns from designers like Oscar de la Renta (including Amal Alamuddin’s dress!), Vera Wang, and Lela Rose are seriously dreamy. One of my personal favorites was Monique Lhullier. The designer only included five ivory dresses, the rest were all color: lavenders, mints, pale pinks. The entire collection felt modern and elegant.
There’s nothing new about my love (and probably yours, too) for avocado toast. But it’s always a good idea to spice things up a bit. I love this simple recipe for incorporating fall ingredients (pears!) to give a classic breakfast a bit of a seasonal twist. It would be even more amazing on sourdough bread, don’t you think?
When it comes to managing that hustle-and-bustle of everyday life, my iPhone has certainly become one of my greatest allies. Among many (!) other things, it keeps me organized, on time, and entertained. I’m always up for learning about new tricks to put it to even better use. This list of the 25 apps to make your life easier is quite helpful.
Calling all fellow bookworms! The latest Goop newsletter gives us insider tips on the best books to buy, give as gifts, and have in your own personal library. My book wish list just got even longer.
SSB. Otherwise known as, “Secret Single Behavior.” Carrie Bradshaw was on to something when she coined the term. It’s all of those things that you used to do when you were single, when no one else was at home and you had your weekends free. I know we can all relate. I love spending time with my husband but I have to admit that I occasionally look forward to those rare nights where he isn’t home and I can fully indulge in my favorite SSBs: watching 90210 reruns (Dylan. McKay.), reading a big stack of magazines that I continuously tear pages out of stack them all over the floor, eating weird snacks (popcorn + peanut butter)…among plenty others. Go ahead. Tell me yours.
It’s a sale-sale-sale weekend. Here are the five sales you can’t miss:
- Tibi: 25% off with the code FF2014TIBI. Personal pick(s): this feathered dress and this party skirt.
- Jonathan Adler: 20% off with the code FF2014. Personal pick(s): the Bel Air vase.
- Loeffler Randall: 20% with the code IMAFRIEND. Personal pick(s): over-the-knee boots, scallop ballet flats, and a pair of kitten heels.
- Saks Fifth Avenue: 25% off with the code FRNFAM. Personal pick(s): a sparkly pair of Oscar de la Renta earrings.
- Barneys Warehouse: The new arrivals are outstanding. Personal picks(s): this stripe coat and a a Proenza clutch (50% off!).
What can I say? It’s a good week for sales. The latest one to shop is Saks. They’re offering 25% off any purchase (with exception of jewelry, which is 20% off). Just enter the code FRNFAM at checkout and you’re all set. It’s not just apparel and shoes either. You can score some on their home and decor section, too. (That includes books, thank you.) One thing to keep in mind: the 25% off also applies to their sale. The promo only runs through Sunday which means you have plenty of time to score some good deals on your favorites.
- I just purchased a pair of over-the-knee gray boots. I love the idea of keeping the look really tonal and pairing it with this pair of jeans. And maybe really go for the gray look it with this sweater, too?
- You can’t go wrong with a pretty pair of ballet flats. (These are some of my favorites.)
- Now would be a good time to stock up on some quality basics. Look no further than Theory. (I need this poncho.)
- My favorite pair of white jeans? Now on sale for under $100.
- For my bar: I’m obsessed with this Rablabs tumbler set.
- When it comes to costume jewelry, Kenneth Jay Lane knows how to do it. These clip-on sparklers are a holiday must-have.
- The last thing I need is another pouch. However, this polka-dot pouch one is really hard to resist.
- Adrienne Landau. Nobody does a good fur quite like her. I bought this vest last year and it was an instant favorite. I have a good feeling this coat would be no exception.
- Speaking of spots, this pair of strappy sandals would work with everything from jeans to cocktail dresses.
- I’m obsessed with these Oscar de la Renta earrings. Pink or white? Either one!
- Remember my malachite plates? You, too, can score a set now.
- I’ve been eyeing some things by Diane Kordas lately. I love her whimsical take on jewelry. This lips necklace, for example. Christmas wish list, perhaps?
- The holidays really are right around the corner. It’s time to start thinking about the upcoming festivities. This little metallic mini is cocktail-ready.
- On sale: denim. What’s better than finding your favorite pair of denim already on sale and then getting an additional 25% off? The sale selection has some really perfect pairs (these and these for me).
- I’ve told you all how much I adore my black Reina kitten heels. So much so that I need them in another color, too. They’re the perfect party shoes because they’re oh-so-comfortable on the dance floor.