We’re married! And headed to the beach now…
I’m doing something that I’ve never done before on Luella & June: taking a break. One full week of no posts on this blog. I think the blog deserves a little vacay, and I figured if there was any week to do it then this was it. Be back in one week (with plenty of wedding recap, too!).
(Image via Vogue)
1. SENSI STUDIO Hat 2. MISSONI Striped Pareo 3. TORY BURCH Foldover Clutch 4. TIBI Denim Shorts 5. DL1961 Jeans 6. THE INTERESTINGS Book 7. TIBI Chiffon Dress 8. SUZANNA DAI Earrings 9. LOEFFLER RANDALL Sandals 10. EQUIPMENT Palm-Tree Print Blouse 11. RAY-BAN Sunglasses 12. J.CREW Bikini 13. LA MER Creme de la Mer
I’m normally a major packing procrastinator. I always wait until the very last minute to start putting things into my suitcase. This inevitably stresses me out and leaves me scrambling to get everything together before my flight. Packing is just something gives me anxiety (anyone else?) and an activity I don’t particularly like – which probably explains why I avoid doing it ahead of time. But that’s not the case this for this trip. I promised myself that I would get all of my packing for the honeymoon done early (as in not on Friday afternoon and definitely not on Saturday morning). There are plenty of other things I need to be focusing on this week, and my suitcase really shouldn’t be one of them. I’ve made some fun purchases (like this and a pair of these, too!) and that always makes packing a little easier, don’t you agree? Besides the beach essentials – my sunscreen and a bikini – I’ll also be bringing some new favorite dresses and my latest read, too!
Left Column: A.L.C. Pants // LAURENCE HELLER Clutch // JOIE Sandals // DVF Dress // KATE SPADE Earrings Middle Column: C.WONDER Bold Aviators // KATE SPADE SATURDAY Top // CLUB MONACO Shorts // MAR Y SOL Bag // KJL Earrings // J.CREW Clutch Right Column: CLUB MONACO Tassel Earrings //BENSIMON Sneakers // MILLY Top // JUICY COUTURE Bracelet // J.CREW Pajamas // 12TH STREET BY CYNTHIA VINCENT Sandals
With a new week comes plenty of new steals – and some major sales, too! Kate Spade Saturday (my new favorite shop) has an entire boutique dedicated to steals under $100.You’ll find oversized round sunnies for summer, adorable rainbow bright tops, and more. There’s also Barneys Warehouse. They’re offering up to 70% off this week. This hat – with a neon orange ribbon! – is calling my name. And don’t forget about J.Crew. They’re offering 20% off of all dresses online and in stores. Happy shopping…
This marks the beginning of a very exciting week for me. There’s so much to look forward to – so many big changes! Today is my 26th birthday. While I’m thrilled at the idea of what’s to come this year, it feels a little bittersweet saying goodbye to 25. It was a good year. I started my dream job at FD, Luella & June turned into a “real” part-time job for me, I took some amazing trips (New York Fashion Week, Paris…), and, best of all, I got engaged. 25 was good to me. Sometimes you just want to press pause (a Zack Morris time-out?) and soak it all in, you know?
Instead, I’m going to celebrate. For the entire week. It starts tonight with a birthday dinner with friends and family at my favorite Italian restaurant. Tomorrow, my fiancé and I are going to spend a fun, low-key day together. We’re headed to Klyde Warren Park, going to Parigi (my other favorite restaurant) for lunch, and just enjoying the day without wedding details to discuss. I’ve also got a spa day planned with my mom and sister on Mother’s Day. Sounds pretty perfect, doesn’t it? I can’t think of a better way to kick off 26 and the beginning of my wedding week. Eight days to go. Happy Weekend!
For your weekend perusal:
- 3.1 for Target: Did you hear the good news? This collection is coming straight at us this fall. Cannot. Wait. (I wish this little number was a part of that collection.)
- Get to know Jackie: I’m still reading Mrs. Kennedy and Me. It’s such a good book. I’m totally fascinated with Jackie Kennedy at the moment (not that I wasn’t before). I love this list of Jackie tidbits from Matchbook.
- SALE Alert: Don’t miss J.Crew’s extra 30% off all sale items. Just enter the code SUNSHINE at checkout. I scored this amazing neon cashmere sweater. It’s my new fave. I’ve also got my eye on a couple of swimsuits.
- Palm Beach spirit: Everything about this post from Mark D. Sikes.
(Image via Musings in Femininity)
In just a little over a week, I’ll be headed out of town on my honeymoon (so. excited.). With that in mind, I’ve been scooping up a few beachy items here and there to take along with me. L-Atitude is always one of my go-to stops when it comes to this kind of shopping. The online boutique always has the best selection of unique finds from never-heard-of-them-before designers, and their assortment just screams beach. (It’s one of those places that stocks things that will make you look well-traveled even if you’re not, you know what I mean?) Today’s find is a perfect example. These handmade Moroccan caftans by Muzungu Sisters (ever heard of them? me either.) are ideal for beach travels – and with a price tag of $65, you can buy two of them. I’m partial to the fuchsia, but the other colors are fab, too. They also have these adorable printed sarongs that are just $55. Love it.
There are lots (and lots) of reasons that I love to Dallas. Besides the fact that it’s always been my home, and the obvious friends and food (in that order, thank you), I love that this city has so much local talent. Between designers, boutique owners (Brian Bolke of Forty Five Ten comes to mind), artists… there are so many creative, brilliant people right here! I was lucky enough to visit the studio of one of those brilliants last week. Elizabeth Showers has been one of my favorite jewelry designers since I spotted my mom wearing this ring over five years ago. (I “borrowed” the ring that day, and I have yet to give it back. Oops.) Elizabeth has been designing jewelry for nearly twenty years (!) and her collections continue to get better and better. She has such an unique eye, and this is evident in each and every design (take a peek at these earrings).
One of my favorite things about Elizabeth’s collection is the variety. She has those easy, wear-all-the-time pieces (This ring is my favorite! Comes in a million different colors and is the ultimate stacking piece!); and those pieces that we save for a night out. She understands a girl’s need for both – while still managing to keep each piece just as special as the next. Take a look at any of the collections and you’ll see what I mean.
Here’s the best news of all. Elizabeth Showers is offering Luella & June readers 15% off any purchase. Just enter the code LUELLAJUNE15 at checkout. If you haven’t already picked up a gift for Mother’s Day, this would be the perfect time to scoop up something special for her. (You can check out my picks right here on her blog today!)
1. STELLA MCCARTNEY Dress 2. CC SKYE Clutch 3. J.CREW Blouse 4. DOLCE & GABBANA Swimsuit 5. MM6 Sandals 6. LEMLEM Dress 7. BLUMARINE Shorts 8. ASOS Earrings 9. MSGM Jacket 10. AISH Scarf 11. KATE SPADE SATURDAY Dress 12. ISARO Bracelets 13. RAY-BAN Sunglasses 14. KJL Earrings
It’s been awhile since I’ve done a “color moment” post on here. After returning home from a little shopping the other day with two bright orange dresses (this was one of them) and a pair of neon orange shorts, I realized the blog might be overdue for one of these posts. While this is a color I love to wear year-round, orange definitely has more of a presence in my warm-weather wardrobe. It’s just a color that screams summer, you know? As you can see here, there’s lots of different options out there when it comes to adding more of this color to your closet. This Kate Spade Saturday dress is definitely my favorite. The shift silhouette is ah-mazing on, and the price is budget-friendly. I already own it in black and have decided that I love it enough to purchase it again in another color. Orange, it is!
Hello, Friday. I’m so glad you’re here. I’m sure you all share my feelings there. This week was spent playing catch-up after being gone on my bachelorette trip last weekend. And it looks like this weekend will be spent the same way – working (have you seen the newest issue of FD? It’s one of my favorites yet.), blogging, and finishing up last minute details for the wedding. On Sunday, I’m headed to NYC for my final wedding dress fitting. Eek! I can’t believe it’s the final one. I am so excited to see the dress and slip it on one last time before the big day. Two weeks to go… Happy Weekend!
For your weekend perusal:
- Shop It: Did you notice the new addition to the blog this week? I sort of sneaked it in there on you. I’ve added a new“Shop” category. I’m always adding things to my wish list (like this adorable little white dress), and now I can share those things with you all in one place. It’s basically a never-ending shopping list – that gets updated daily. Let me know what you think.
- Domaine Home: Here’s one to add your bookmarks. The team over at Who What Wear has just launched Domaine Home, an online destination for interior design inspiration. It’s only been up for a week and I’m already obsessed. The site gives you peeks at the chic interiors of tastemakers (Lea Michelle’s pad was the big hit this week), along with decor ideas and DIY tricks. Plus – there’s a Shop section where you’ll find all sorts of goodies. Love that.
- Can’t get enough of ‘em: You all know how much I love my Tory Burch tunics (as seen here and here). So I’m thrilled that her latest SALE (!!!) has plenty of them. This one looks especially comfy, and, even though I don’t usually wear red, I’m kind of loving this floral one.
- Sip, sip: Since returning from Punta Mita this week, I’ve been going through margarita withdrawals (What can I say? I love them.). The good news is that Cinco de Mayo is this Sunday so that sounds like a good enough reason to me to whip up a pitcher of margs tonight (not that you ever need a reason to do that). I discovered this recipe on Pinterest, and I think it sounds just about perfect.
Over the last few months, I’ve gotten lots and lots of emails asking me various wedding questions (“Is it a good idea to change into a second dress at the wedding?” “Any recommendations for wedding shoes?”). The most common questions so far though deal with the bridesmaids. There have been questions about bridesmaids dresses (I’m no expert there but I hope some of my recommendations have helped!), bridesmaids hair ideas, and – the most common – bridesmaids gifts. I can’t tell you what I’m gifting my bridesmaids for the wedding since some of those ladies read this little blog and, well, that would ruin the surprise! Instead, I thought I would share the favors we gave to the girls on our trip last weekend.
My little sister put together the cutest bags for everyone. She ordered these super simple (and super inexpensive) canvas tote bags, and then took them to a monogramming place here in Dallas (Madison is our favorite!) and had each bag monogrammed with the girl’s initials – in neon thread, of course! The bag is the perfect size, and the monogram gives it that personal touch. It’s such an easy idea and works for lots of different of gifting occasions. There were all sorts of fun things inside the bag – heart-shaped sunnies, a bright pink Essie nail polish…but my personal favorite? The Marigot pajamas! You all know that I am a huge fan of Marigot. Their PJs are so comfy, and I love all of the print options they have. I chose four different prints for this: octopus, pineapples, sun and moon, and crab. There were lots of fun colors happening, and they all had a beachy flair to them. If you’re still looking for a Mother’s Day gift, a pair of Marigot PJs might be just the thing.
All photos taken by Luella & June®
Guess what? There’s another Shopbop sale. Lots and lots of new markdowns to ogle (take a peek at these, for example). It couldn’t have come at a better time as I am purchasing a few last minute things for my upcoming honeymoon. This easy-breezy Candela dress would be perfect for the beach (it could double as a coverup, too). I’m also considering this Eberjey bikini, and at a price tag under $100, this little dress is totally worth it. Whether you’re shopping for a beach vacay or not, this sale worth a look!