Workout clothes always seem to fall last on my list of things to buy. Whereas the rest of my closet gets periodic updates with a couple of new buys (this!) here and there, my workout wear often gets completely forgotten about until all of the sudden, it needs a complete overhaul. Last month was one of those times. I opened my closet drawer to realize that my favorite leggings were starting to snag and I was way overdue for a new pair of running shoes. Time for a refresh!
The thing about activewear is that it really is super personal. It’s kind of like denim in that there really is no one perfect pair or style. It’s different for everyone. That means there’s a lot of trial and error when it comes to shopping for workout clothing. In my quest to refresh, I’ve come across a handful of new favorites and, as always, wanted to share them with you all.
- APL TechLoom Phantom Sneakers – After years (and years!) of allegiance to Nike’s Pegasus running shoe, I’ve officially made a full switch to the Techlook Phantom from APL. I was initially wary about buying a pair of these shoes. Yes, they’re really pretty to look at but I had to wonder, would they actually hold up for exercise? The answer: yes. They’re super comfortable and even though they’re a low-profile sneaker, they still offer plenty of support. My feet sort of feel like they’re getting an extra bit of bounce when I wear them. I’m already on my third pair. There’s no going back now.
- LNDR Performance Crop Leggings – Is there anything more annoying than a pair of leggings that doesn’t stay put when you’re working out? Good news: these are not one of those pairs. Not only do these LNDR leggings stay in place during a workout, but they also hold their shape after being washed.
- Outdoor Voices Light Racerback Tank – While I normally prefer spandex or the like when it comes to material for my tops, this jersey tank is actually pretty wonderful. It’s really soft (so comfortable!) and really breathable. It’s exactly the kind of thing I like to wear on walks when the temperatures are nearing triple digits.
- Alo Coast Capris in White – The thought of white leggings used to sort of scare me. Super-tight white pants? Not always flattering. I was also concerned about the see-through factor. After much trial and error, I finally found a white pair I like: Alo’s Coast Capris. They have just the right amount of stretch and they’re not at all see-through.
- Lululemon Invigorate Bra – When it comes to sports bras, my small chest has never needed the heavy-duty support styles, but I also don’t like the styles that are super light and flimsy either. This sports bra is the ideal middle. It’s airy, but substantial. Bonus: I love the the mesh panel design on the back.
- TorySport Tennis Wear – An injury last year forced me to take a break from playing tennis, but I’m happy to say that I’m officially back in the game! I’m channeling my excitement by picking up a couple of new tennis ensembles. In addition to this adorable Nike tennis dress I picked up last week, I’ve also found quite a few new favorites from Tory Sport. I’ve added a few basics (this skirt is my new go-to!) along with some fun, novelty pieces like this heart-print dress and this cute green pleated skirt.