If I had to pick a single dress style as my most favorite, I would without a doubt choose the shirtdress. It’s timeless, easy, and oh-so versatile – what’s not to love? It’s the kind of one-and-done essential that works for so many different things. That’s what makes it a go-to favorite for me: it’s smart enough for the office but totally holds its own at after-hour cocktails. That all-purpose quality is why I keep a selection of shirtdresses stocked and continue to add new ones into the mix. Here, five styles in heavy rotation.
- Theory is always a good go-to for shirtdresses so it’s no surprise that it’s the source of my most-worn one. I ordered this short-sleeve dress early on in the summer and quickly fell in love with it. It’s perfectly tailored, hitting at just the right spot above my ankle and looks just as good with a pair of pumps at the office as it does worn with sandals on a Saturday. I rejoiced when I found out that it came in several others colors (blue and white) and quickly scooped those up, too. Bonus: the style is currently on major sale.
- This Topshop style is definitely my best steal of late. It’s the ultimate throw-on-and-go dress. The best part? It’s under $75. (Looking for options under $100? See here, here, and here.)
- I’ve loved everything I’ve seen from the Goop G. Label collection – including this shirtdress I ordered last month. It’s made from the lightest (read: semi-sheer) cotton voile, making it ideal for poolside get-togethers. It’s the perfect coverup to pack for vacation! I also love that I can switch out the sash for a belt of my choosing.
- While the majority of my shirtdresses fall somewhere in the neutral category (lots of white, black, and stripes), I did manage to break the spell with the purchase of this polka-dot one from LMR. It’s a bold print but surprisingly wearable. It’s very light, too, making it ideal when summer temperatures are at their hottest.
- My newest addition is this super simple one from Rosetta Getty. It’s definitely a splurge but its wearability makes it worthy of the investment. It works for right now (roll up the sleeves, throw on a pair of sandals, and add a straw bag!) but will easily transition into the fall season. I love that it makes for a cool pairing over a pair of slim, cropped pants.
There’s plenty more on my wish list, too. Scroll down to shop 15 others that are worth a look.
Photos by Kristen Kilpatrick