Is there anything more classic than a pair of jeans? I’m certain that if you asked anyone which item of clothing gets the most wear , the answer would almost always be denim. There’s a reason that Yves Saint Laurent said, “I wish I had invented blue jeans.” Good denim is a closet staple. I practically live in this pair – not to mention, my new boyfriend-style. Denim is versatile and works with anything – anytime. It’s the workhouse of the wardrobe.
There are so many different options to choose from – and the denim selection at Nordstrom has them all. Thankfully, they’ve made it easy to shop by dividing the various styles into neat and tidy categories for us – which includes a section of “under $100” denim. Let’s make it even easier. Here, the five denim trends I’m focusing on for a fall refresh.
1. The Classic Skinny – You own a pair. You probably own seven pairs. And with good reason. They’re truly a classic. The very best skinny jean, in my opinion, is the Le Skinny de Jeanne from Frame Denim. That’s why I own them in four different washes (this one and this one are my favorites).
2. The Denim Skirt – This one is going to be a tough one for some to get behind. I really never thought I’d see this happen but the denim skirt seems to be making a serious comeback. It was spotted on the likes of Olivia Palermo (but she doesn’t count because she looks good in everything) and more than a few editors at fashion week – including Lauren Santo Domingo. If it’s LSD-approved then I can probably get on board.
3. The High-Waisted – This is the pair I’m most excited to start wearing more. I love the look of a high-waisted pair of pants. Not only does it make you look two inches taller (it really does!), but there’s something about a high-waist that adds a certain polish and put together-ness to a look. The best advice: opt for a fitted pair like these. Boyfriend, slouchy styles just don’t work with the high-waisted style. However, a flare-style like this one definitely does.
4. Novelty – We can’t rely on our dark blue skinnies alone. It’s a good idea to round out your denim collection with a few novelty pairs. I’m talking a colored pair (oxblood is a fall favorite for me), a print, and a coated pair for those times when you need something a little dressier.
5. The Denim Shirt – Like your humble white tee, a denim shirt (I can vouch for this one. It just gets better and better with every wash.) works as a neutral for any look. Pair it with anything you want – a pencil skirt, leather pants – and you’re good to go. And yes. Go ahead and wear it with your favorite jeans. Denim-on-denim has never looked better.
Images via Tommy Ton, Stockholm Streetstyle, and Vogue
This post was sponsored by Nordstrom. All opinions are my own.