It might not be “officially” summer yet, the warm (and getting warmer) weather certainly makes it feel like it is. I’ve been wearing white jeans pretty much every day, filled what is usually my sweater drawer with swimsuits (I just bought this one after seeing Gigi Hadid wearing it), and have changed my happy hour order from red to rosé. Along with all of that comes some switch-ups to my usual beauty routine, too. Nothing drastic. Just a few tweaks that keep my skin (and hair and nails) happy over the next few months.
- Exfoliation is the name of the game. It’s the only reason I can get away with wearing less makeup. I love to try new ones so my favorite is constantly changing but right now, I’m using this one from Kiehl’s. I received a small sample of it last month and loved it enough to go back and buy one for myself. It’s got the grainy beads which I like (it makes me feel like it’s really doing something) yet it’s still gentle on my rosacea-prone skin.
- For body exfoliation, I’m all about this gel one from Aesop. I have no idea why I haven’t tried it until now. It’s really awesome and the scent is so fresh for summer.
- Moisturizing is tricky for me this time of year. Summer temperatures demand something light, but my skin calls for heavy hydration. I’ve told you all before how much I love La Mer’s Soft Cream. It’s been a miracle product for me and worth every pretty penny, in my opinion. During the summer, I simply sub it with their lightweight lotion. It has all the same miracle-working qualities as the cream but isn’t as heavy.
- Even though I do my best to keep my face out of the sun, the occasional sunburn on my face (especially my nose) does happen. In these rare instances, my current go-to is this cream. An aesthetician recommended it to me as a treatment for my rosacea flares. It definitely does work to calm down redness, but it also soothes any sort of burning/tightness I’m feeling from too much sun. It’s pricey, yes, but a little bit goes a long way.
- I rarely wear foundation. And I never wear it in the summer. Even the light ones feel too heavy. If I’m needing coverage, my forever-favorite Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer does the trick. Lately, however, I’ve been forgoing even that for something else: Charlotte Tilbury’s Wonder Glow. It’s basically summer’s primer. It brightens my face and gives it a dewiness that I like.
- I do my best to keep my face out of the sun as much as possible so I have to rely on this bronzer (I use the “Golden Light” shade) for that sunny glow. It’s completely matte (read: no shimmer), which I really like. I don’t apply a lot. Just a quick fluff or two on my forehead, cheekbones, and bridge of my nose. Done and done.
- Blush is probably my very favorite makeup item and in the summer, I love it even more. I have two current favorites and both of them are duos: Chanel’s Les Beiges in No. 2, which I blend together before applying, and then this twosome from Nars. I also really love the multiple stick from Nars. I usually apply powder blush and then top it off with the stick in the “Orgasm” shade.
- For lips, I’m all about a quick sweep of this gloss (I love the “Calypso Beat” shade) for everyday. If it’s cocktail hour and I’m looking for something punchy, M.A.C.’s lipstick in “Sushi Kiss” is my new go-to. It really is a perfect peachy-pink.
- The blow dryer never even leaves the vanity drawer during the summer. Not only is it just too much work, but when the temperatures start to rise, the thought of blasting hot air on myself just really doesn’t appeal. So, air-dry it is. Once my hair is somewhere between wet and totally dry, I spritz this stuff in it, give my locks a quick tousle and then usually put it in a braid. The result is a medium, beachy wave. Simple as that.
- I usually keep my fingernails clear in the summer, but for my toes, I’m currently alternating between this bright white (so fresh for summer!) and Essie’s “Saltwater Happy.”
This post was sponsored by Nordstrom. All opinions are my own.