I’m not going to lie: getting dressed while pregnant hasn’t always been easy. It’s a learning process, one that has required a little bit of effort and quite a few adjustments. I’ve had to bid adieu to some of my old favorites in favor of bump-friendly items in bigger sizes (goodbye favorite tapered high-rise denim and hello maternity jeans).
Bottom line: figuring out my new size and what works (and doesn’t work) on my new shape has required some research. After lots of trying and buying (and returning!), I’ve come across a handful of great basics that have made their way into my everyday uniform. Below, 8 favorites that I can’t live without.
1. Maternity Jeans – It took me a second, but I finally bit the bullet and bought my first pair of maternity jeans. I have no idea why I waited so long. I wish I had just done it earlier. They’re so comfortable and make getting dressed with a bump so much easier. I’m still doing my research on different pairs so any recommendations are welcome!
2. ASOS Maternity T-Shirts – These under-$20 t-shirts are my favorite thing. I pretty much buy them in bulk at this point. I love the length (longer is better right now!) and the quality is actually really great.
3. Xirena “Draper” Pant – This pant is my go-to for everything from lounging around the house to running errands on a Saturday. I took my normal pre-pregnancy size (XS) and they fit perfectly. Not only are they really comfortable (so thankful for that drawstring), but the super-duper lightweight material makes them perfect for hot days. I have them in three colors: black, white, and light blue.
4. Easy-Chic Dresses – Never in my life have I worn dresses with such frequency. Not just any dresses though. I’m talking about easy-breezy, throw-on-and-go dresses – specifically roomy kaftans and linen frocks. Since these dresses are more oversized in style, I’m more comfortable splurging on them because I know I’ll be able to still wear them post-pregnancy. I’ve scored several new favorites including the “Brigitte” dress from Sleeper which I now own in two colors (tip: I sized up to a Small and forgo the waist tie) along with a number of roomy kaftans like this fab print one from D’Ascoli and a few others from Lisa Marie Fernandez and Pippa Holt.
5. Striped T-Shirts – You all know how much I love my striped t-shirts and they’re still very much a part of my daily uniform – albeit in different sizes. I’ve purchased my old favorite in one size up, in addition to adding this boat-sleeve style from Hatch.
6. Xirena “Beau” Button-Down Shirt – Pregnant or not, I love an oversized button-down shirt. The “Beau” style from Xirena is my current favorite for summer. I love the slightly roomy cut (I bought a size Small) – not to mention, it’s really lightweight, making it a shirt you can wear even on summer’s warmest day.
7. Everything from Cos – I have long been a fan of Cos. I’ve been shopping there for years but never quite with such fervor as of late. The thing that’s great about Cos – whether you’re pregnant or not – is that you can find super chic basics at super great prices. This is so key during pregnancy when you want a great dress (this one) but don’t want to spend a lot because it may not fit you in a month.
8. Lululemon “Align II” Pant – It was surprisingly difficult to find a comfortable pant for working out. But I finally did and it’s this one. It’s super high-rise, which I love, and the material is so lightweight that you barely feel like you’re wearing anything. It’s the only pair of leggings I wear now and I honestly can’t imagine wearing anything else ever again, even when I’m no longer pregnant.