I have lots of favorites hanging in my closet but the real stars of my wardrobe are the basics. I’m talking about those tried-and-true pieces that I reach for time and time again. They’re the workhorses of my closet and the building blocks of my daily uniform. Below, my can’t-live-without-them, go-with-everything closet essentials.
- Stripe T-Shirt – There is perhaps no item in my closet that gets more wear than my stripe t-shirt. The stripe tee is my go-to with everything from jeans to tailored skirts. I have quite a collection of them, largely made up of favorites from Saint James and Kule.
- Straight-Leg Jeans – While I still have a pair or two of skinnies, the straight-leg jean has emerged as my all-time denim favorite. There’s something so classic about a straight-leg pair of denim – not to mention, I find that they’re the most flattering of all the denim cuts! My favorite pairs change all the time but at this moment, my go-to pairs are these, these, and these.
- Button-Down Shirt – There’s perhaps nothing more classic than a button-down shirt. Whether to the office or a casual Saturday brunch, it just always works. I prefer an oversized style to anything too fitted. I’m a big fan of this style from Frank & Eileen along with this one (under $75!) from Everlane.
- Trench Coat – I’ve mentioned my love for trench coats at least a dozen times. When it comes to outerwear, the trench coat is the ultimate classic. My advice: invest in the best one. My personal picks: here, here, and here.
- Not-So-Little Black Dress – Everyone talks about the LBD but for me, my favorite black dresses are the not-so-little ones. I prefer a midi, one that hits somewhere below my knee. I love this simple and super chic style from Theory. It’s one you could easily dress up or down. (During the spring and summer months, the LWD takes front and center. I love this one and this one.)
- Cashmere Sweater – While my bulky knits only emerge a for a few months out of the year, my cashmere sweaters stick around all year long. My favorite one is this crewneck from J.Crew. I have one in nearly every color. They really function more like a t-shirt. During the winter, they serve as a great layering piece and in the summer, they’re a perfect go-to with jeans on a cooler evening.
- Tailored Black Trousers – Black pants are just as wearable as a pair of jeans – not to mention, they’re an excellent substitute when your look calls for something dressier. The key is just finding the right pair. For me, that pair is cropped at the ankle with an ever-so-slight flare. I love these.