I mentioned to you all here that I’ve been having a major love for tableware lately. We received so many fun things (a pair of these, for example) for our table as wedding gifts – and I just want to keep adding to it! One of my most recent finds (and obsessions) is Nicole Porter‘s collection of colorful tableware. The designer (who describes herself as someone “who makes housewares for happy people”) offers handmade beech wood plates, bowls, and utensils with painted detailing. These pieces are just such fun, and they’re perfect for summer entertaining. Wouldn’t a plate of appetizers (how about these? yum.) look even better on this serving plate? I think so.
Check out the rest of her collection in her Etsy shop.
1. CEDRIC CHARLIER Motrocycle Jacket 2. THEIRRY LASRY Sunglasses 3. MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA Dress 4. NINA RICCI Shorts 5. MELISSA OBADASH Bikini 6. AURÉLIE BIDERMANN Bracelet 7. GIANLUCA CAPANNOLO Dress 8. J.CREW Striped Tank 9. PRIMARY Python Clutch 10. ERIKSON BEAMON Cuff 11. MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA Sandals 12. TOPSHOP Top 13. CHARLOTTE OLYMPIA Fringe Clutch 14. J.CREW Cardigan
I think we all know that I like the color pink. I think it’s one of those colors that you either love or hate (why does this color in particular provoke such a strong response?). I’m in the former camp. While I certainly don’t wear it head-to-toe (though I’m reconsidering that after seeing this picture), I think pink is such a good accent color. One good solid hot pink piece (like my Equipment blouse) is a good idea . I also think it’s one that can work as a neutral if you let it. For instance, take this DKNY coat. It’s something that could easily scare people off, but it’s actually a piece that will work with just about anything – blue jeans, t-shirts, a great shift dress. Most of my clothes are gray and black in the winter, and this coat would be the perfect way to add some unexpected color.
Image via Caroline’s Mode
Happy, happy weekend! The past five days seemed to drag a bit, didn’t they? Monday was such an exciting day with the royal baby news (!) that I guess the rest of the week just seemed a little slower. As I mentioned last week, I’m headed to Santa Fe this weekend to celebrate my husband’s birthday. It’s a big one: 3-0. (2013 was kind of a big year for him. A wedding in May followed by his 30th birthday just a short two months later.) I’ve got a fun – but very low-key – couple of days planned with our families. The weekend pretty much revolves around the meals. No surprise there. It will be such a treat to spend some time in cooler weather (highs in the 80s and lows in the 50s!), not to mention, just the respite I need before what is sure to very hectic next week. (On another note. It’s funny that I was basically writing the exact same post at this time last year. Santa fe plus a birthday. Remember it?) That’s all, for now. Tell me what’s on your agenda for the weekend. Oh. And if you if you have good recs while we’re in Santa Fe, I would love to hear them. TGIF.
For your weekend perusal:
- An abridged biography: I was honored to have my “Abridged Biography” featured on VMac + Cheese yesterday. Victoria is such a doll, and I loved playing along for this series. The questions are a lot of fun.
- Here I am again: Speaking of features, I was thrilled to be included on Camila’s blog this week, too. In honor of her new bedding line (check out these scalloped sheets!), she asked me a few questions about my own bedroom.
- Sale alert: Are you all aware how much I love Heidi Merrick? I do. So much. All of her designs have such a cool, laid-back sensibility. (Just a take a peek at the new arrivals section. You’ll see what I mean.) They’re the kinds of things that look both effortless and chic at once. My favorites? This long dress and these adorable pants. Good news. She’s offering Luella & June readers 20% off her spring/summer collection. Just enter the code HMSUMMER at checkout.
- Digital detox: I could use a detox of so many kinds right now (coffee. wine. Sour Patch Kids.), but probably none so much as this one. A digital detox would do me some good.
- Pucci-esque: I couldn’t put my finger on it at first but now I see it. Doesn’t this dress remind you so much of a good Pucci print? The geometrics mixed with some paisley designs. Love it.
- The orange lip: When it comes to bold lipstick, red has never been my thing. I’ve always opted for the orange-red hue instead. I loved watching Vogue‘s video featuring Hanneli and Lindsey Wixson as they test drive the lipstick color. (Side note: Is there anyone else in the world that can pull off leather overalls like Hanneli? Seriously.) They included one of my favorites, too: Mac’s “Morange” lipstick. It’s such a good orange.
Image via Tommy Ton
RAY-BAN Sunglasses // ULLA JOHNSON Top (on SALE) // JOE’S JEANS Shorts // JODY CANDRIAN Bracelet (from Five and Ten) // K .JACQUES Sandals // CALYPSO Fringe Purse
I love to mix and match all sorts of colors (yellow and lilac, pink and orange, lime green and sky blue), but nothing tops my favorites list like a blue and white combination. Is there anything more classic than blue and white? It’s so clean and fresh – and never goes out of style. I’ve always incorporated blue and white china patterns into my house (this garden stool, for example), and it was a big part of my wedding décor. This probably explains why I was immediately drawn to this Ulla Johnson blouse. (It’s too bad I was drawn to it before Shopbop put it on sale. Oh well.) The ikat-inspired floral print is such a great variation on a classic; and, just like all other blue and white combos, this top goes with everything. It makes me want to add in more of these types prints to my closet. Like this Elizabeth and James dress. Swoon.
P.S. Don’t forget about Shopbop’s extra 25% off of sale today. Enter code SALE25.
Photo Credit: Molly Miller
I know that by now you probably know all about artist Samantha French. Between Pinterest and the myriad of blogs that have posted about her art, I feel like I’m totally last in line here. Nonetheless, I love it so much that I felt compelled to post about it, too. After spending her childhood summers on the lake in her home state of Minnesota, Samantha French recreates those moments in her paintings. They’re just so refreshing - not to mention, so summer. Just looking at one of these makes you want to dive right into a pool, doesn’t it? I’m thinking about purchasing one of her small prints from her Etsy shop to put on my bulletin board at home. That way I’ll have a year-round reminder of summer. Sound good?
Check out her entire portfolio right here.
P.S. Shopbop is offering an additional 25% off al sale! Just enter the code SALE25 at checkout. That means that things like this are basically 85% off! I’ll take a pair of these and one of these. Oh. And this, too, please.
LEFT: KAIN Sleeveless Top // CLUB MONACO Shorts // FALLON “Aloof” Cuff // CHARLES PHILLIP Slippers // UNIQLO Dress MIDDLE: PLIA Clutch // BISCUIT Earrings // TORY BURCH Pajamas // VELEVET T-Shirt // LULU FROST Bangle // NASTY GAL Sunglasses RIGHT: EMMA COOK Shorts // MADEWELL Sandals // J.CREW Eyelet Top // GORJANA Ring // PAUL & JOE Jeans
I love it when I can kick Monday off with one of these posts. I had all of these goodies rounded up for you, and then it got even better – Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale started over the weekend. What I love most about this sale is that it’s not all summery stuff (though there are plenty of those goodies, too). You’ll find fall and winter pieces – like this leather jacket or a pair of these boots! - that’ll last you all year long. So, in addition to all of those steals you see up there – which, by the way, you can simply click on to shop! – I’ve got a list here of my favorites from the Anniversary Sale, too.
TGIF. What’s on the agenda for the weekend? We’re sticking around here for the next couple of days. It’s going to be a laid-back weekend with nothing more than a couple of things on the schedule. (I’m hoping the weekend involves a hammock like the one in that Silm Aaron’s picture.) We’re going to check out this restaurant tonight (I’ve heard it’s delish) and then spend tomorrow catching up on our to-do lists. It’s a good thing we have a chance to do that now because next weekend we’re headed out of town to celebrate my husband’s 30th birthday. Lots to look forward to there.
For your weekend perusal:
- And the Emmy goes to…: Am I the only one that even cares about Emmy nominations? Probably. My husband told me he didn’t even know what I was talking about when I started blabbering about how excited I was about the nominations. All of favorite ladies are up for the big award - Connie Britton for Nashville, Kerry Washington for Scandal, Claire Danes for Homeland, and Michelle Dockery for Downton Abbey. And now you know just how much TV I watch. Oh well.
- Style steal: ASOS always has so many good budget-friendly finds…but have you checked it out recently? I think it’s gotten even better. I find myself pinning one things after another from there – all under $100! Like this dress. Too much ruffle? I love it. With a pair of flat sandals, it would make a perfect summer-y dress.
- Must bring buns: I was excited to contribute a guest post to local blogger Bren’s Must Bring Buns site this week. The post is about weddings – and we all know that I’ve been to a few of those this year.
- Summer reading: You all know how much I love to read (I’m currently right in the middle of this book), and I love to take suggestions. The latest comes from “BuzzFeed’s 65 Books You Need to read in Your 20s.” I’m sad to say that I’ve barely read any of these books. I’ve only hit about five on the list. Take a minute to peruse the list and tell me where I should start.
Image via Slim Aarons
CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT: TOPSHOP Shift Dress // LEMLEM Shorts // PARTY POPCORN Recipe // CHINTI & PARKER Sweater // SFK iPhone Case and Bracelet // AVEC MODERATION Slippers // HEIDI MERRICK Pillow // LE WEEKEND DE CHANEL Serum // GRACE KELLEY Image // CORE BAMBOO Wood Cutlery // FELIX RAY Pineapple Clutch
Guess what? If you like something you see here then just click the product image and it will take you directly to it. A fun new tool for these posts – and it makes shopping a little easier for you! Speaking of shopping… be sure to check out TORY BURCH today. You’ll get 20% off your purchase with the code EXTRA20.