It’s officially hot. Really hot. We reached our first triple digit temperature yesterday, and, from what I’m hearing, we’ll be right back up there today. Which is why you’ll be able to find me in the pool. All weekend. I’ve got no major plans (don’t you love those kinds of weekends?) except for crossing things off of my to-do list and partaking in a little SSB (read Molly’s post here) while my husband is out of town. This means catching up on all of my mags, getting take-out from here and lots of frozen yogurt. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it? Happy Weekend!
For your weekend perusal:
- Island style: Ever since my trip to Harbour Island, I’ve had a fascination with India Hicks. She’s got that whole gypset look that I love. And not just in her closet. Take a peek at her Harbour Island home and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about.
- Speaking of home: Have you checked out Calypso’s Maison sample sale? Lots (and lots!) of good steals here. You find rugs for under $100 and some adorable throw pillows that would work for so many different styles.
- Prep for the Fourth: I’ve told you all before: I love the Fourth of July. It’s such a fun holiday – sparklers, fireworks, and all of that red, white and blue! I do love to dress to the theme. For the day, I’m thinking a pair of these star-spangled shorts with my striped tee. For the night-time festivities, I love this navy and white dress paired with some simple sandals and fun accessories.
- Happy hour: With all of the fun festivities going on, we’ll need a cocktail (or two). I just discovered this Pinterest-looking site dedicated solely to libations. Plenty of inspiration there!
LEFT: RAY-BAN Sunglasses // ZARA Top // MOTHER OF PEARL Stripe Skirt // JEROME DREYFUS Clutch // SARAH CHLOE Cuff // K. JACQUES Sandals MIDDLE: RAY-BAN Sunglasses // CARVEN Dress // STELLA MCCARTNEY Clutch // ALEJANDRO INGELMO Pumps RIGHT: SHERIFF & CHERRY Sunglasses // J.CREW Shirt // STELLA JEAN Skirt // 3.1 PHILLIP LIM Bag // PIERRE HARDY Sandals
We’re currently in menswear fashion show season. They’re just about to wrap up the Summer 2014 collections in Milan. It should come as no surprise that there have been plenty of amazing men’s street style shots (look here – have you ever seen such well-dressed men?). What is surprising, however, is the amount of street shots we’re seeing of the women. Normally the photogs focus on the men, but this year that’s all changed. I love getting to see Anna Dello Russo and Viviana Volpicella (Italian names just roll right of your tongue, don’t they?) strolling the streets in their summer best. They’re never ones to shy away from color – how about the Stella Jean skirt that VV is wearing? And from the looks of these photos, I seriously need to invest in a pair of mirrored sunglasses. This is all the summer inspiration you need.
Images via WGSN and Grazia
In case you missed it yesterday, the Shopbop EXTRA 25% sale is still going on. You’ll get an extra 25% off those already reduced prices. I went ahead and added this Vince dress to my cart yesterday. With the code, it ended up being nearly 70% off. All you have to do is enter the code EXTRA25 at checkout. Shop it all right here. The time is ticking though. This offer is only good through tomorrow.
The same goes for Gap. For the next 24 hours only you can get 20% off any purchase. Just enter the code GAPGIFT at checkout. I wasn’t sure how I felt about tie-dye, but this little dress is changing my mind there. With an extra 20% off, it’s even better. It’s also a good time to stock up on those basics or your workout gear.
KATE SPADE SATURDAY Dress // SARA BELTRÁN Clutch // Vintage Earrings // K. JACQUES Sandals // Nail polish on toes: ESSIE “Borrowed and Blue”
Yellow has never been a big part of my closet. If a dress or a top came in yellow and another color, I’ve always opted for the latter. (I bought a yellow J.Crew silk top freshman year of college and that was only because that was the only color they had left in my size.) It’s not that I don’t like yellow. It’s just not a color that I think about very often. Until now. After seeing my friend Sarita in a stunning yellow dress at her rehearsal dinner this spring, I’ve been giving yellow some serious thought. It’s such a summer-y, happy hue and definitely deserves more consideration than I have been giving it. Since I loved my Kate Spade Saturday dress in black so much, I decided to try it out in yellow. It’s already one of my favorites – and not just because of the color. It’s the perfect fit and I love the side cut-out details, too. (I decided to give the look even more of a summer touch here with my Sara Beltrán palm-tree clutch.) Needless to say, yellow is now inching its way into my closet more and more. What are your thoughts on yellow? I know it’s Sally’s favorite. What about you?
(P.S. Speaking of yellow… Shopbop is offering an EXTRA 25% off of all sale for the next three days! Just enter code EXTRA25 at checkout. Shop it here.)
Photos by Molly Miller
From left to right: Zenobie // Ganges // Fringe
I remember my first pair of K. Jacques sandals. It was this Corvette Cuff style in a natural leather color. I ordered them from Shopbop right before I left on a beach trip with my fam nearly three years ago. They instantly became a favorite, and I’ve been wearing them out ever since. (I wear them so much that I actually wore the buckle out. I had it replaced at Deno’s shoe repair here in Dallas.) It’s been a slippery slope after that. I’ve now accumulated my own little collection of the sandal (I have Shopbop and Dallas’ Cabana to thank for that). I hate to pick favorites but when it comes to summer sandals, these are it. They’re simple – which is what I like most about them. No major frills. Just a great leather sandal that will last you years. I mean it: years. They’re definitely pricier than some sandals, but they always outlast all of the others. They come in all sorts of different styles and colors. These days I’m wearing this style the most. I love the wrap-up, and they go with everything. I have it in the python leather, too. They go with everything and easily dress up my evening look. I also just recently added this pair in fuchsia to my closet. (Love that yellow color, too!) Such a good one. I’ll be wearing these sandals for years to come. These are the kinds of shoes that just continue to look better with time, you know?
Guess where I’m headed this weekend? New Orleans. Yippee! I love that place. I bet you can guess that reason I’m going, too. Yep. Another wedding. ‘Tis. The. Season. We’ve got one more in July and then I think we’re off the wedding circuit (at least for the next few months). I’ll take any reason to head to New Orleans for a couple of days. The fact that we get to partake in a fun wedding celebration just makes it all the better. We arrive tonight and, of course, our first plan of action is to head to dinner. And tomorrow morning: Galatoire’s. My favorite. That’s pretty much what this weekend will be – lots of good food, lots of cocktails, and plenty of celebrating. So it goes in New Orleans. Happy Weekend!
For your weekend perusal:
- Speaking of weddings: Have you checked out Vogue‘s Wedding Guide? It just came out yesterday. I love the way they categorize the various wedding styles: Country Club Affair, Garden Party, etc. Not only did it lead me to this pair of fab (and on sale!) BCBG heels, but I’m also dying to try this cocktail they refer to as a “Bramble.” (Think New Orleans might have one of those?)
- Summer tablescape: Maybe it has something to do with being married and getting to play around with all of my pretty wedding presents, but I’m having so much fun setting the table. I do it every night – glassware, flatware, plates, placemats…the whole deal. Just for the two us. Sounds so silly. But I’m having such a good time doing it. I’m sure eventually we’ll have more people over for dinner, right? This book is giving me lots of inspiration and Furbish is where I’ve been going to make it happen. They’ve got such fun stuff (like these)! I’ve purchased several things (like a set of these) that add some color to my table. Check out this section to browse all of their tabletop goodies.
- How has it changed?: I really enjoyed reading this post from Ally. She’s really right on about how much the blogging world has changed over the last few years, and I understand why she’s anxious to make some changes of her own. I am sure that plenty of bloggers can relate to what she’s saying.
- Bring on the sale: They’re still happening. And they’re only getting better. Net-a-Porter just did another markdown. I think this dress is adorable – and at 40% off, it’s even cuter. Neiman Marcus is offering an addition 25% off today. You should also check out Shopbop (love this) and West Elm, too!
Thanks to a quick perusal of Gadabout’s blog (the girl has such a good eye!), I’m now in love with the work of Hannah Rampley. The textile designer and illustrator is inspired by her hometown along with the patterns in everyday objects to create her hand-dyed and screen printed fabrics. Have you ever seen anyone else make a vegetable or a fruit look so good? Those colors! What’s even more amazing is that the artist has just graduated this month (just think about what you were doing right after graduation). What a talented young lady! They’re just such bright, happy prints. Of course, they would be perfect in a beach house (hello!), but I also think it would be amazing to have one of these prints as a wallpaper lining the entry hall of a house. Or maybe in a powder room? What do you think? You can tell that I’ve clearly already planned it all out in my imaginary home. Check out more of her work online.
Meet Vara. You may already know her. The iconic Salvatore Ferragamo flat celebrates its 35th anniversary this year. 35 years! How am I just now taking note of these fabulous little lady shoes? I’m normally not one for a patent leather AND a bow (this combo usually feels a little too fussy for my style) but these shoes are an exception. This style feels super classic, yet so fresh. They remind me of something my grandmother might have worn – and that’s a good thing. (This WSJ article pretty much sums up my sentiment on that.)
To celebrate Vara’s big anniversary, Salvatore Ferragamo launched the L’Icona campaign, an online gallery featuring 21 tastemakers (Lauren Santo Domingo, Olivia Palermo, and Lily Aldridge, to name a few) in their own custom Vara flats. That’s right. You can actually customize your own pair – leather color, ribbon color, and, for a little extra, you can even add your initials to the sole. Sign me up. Although, the colors they’ve got already are pretty fantastic. This fiery red color, for example. These heels are obviously perfect for an LBD or pair of tailored pants, but I love the idea of wearing them with something a little more unexpected. Like a pair of boyfriend jeans rolled at the cuffs. Or – even better – a pair of printed shorts. It just makes the look at little more funky, you know?
I’m also a huge fan of Vara’s little sister: Varina (especially in this “Morning Rose” hue). She gives you all the ladylike glam you want – but without a heel. I think this might be the most perfect petal pink/nude ballet flat I’ve ever seen. Agreed?
(All images via Claiborne Swanson Frank for L’Icona)